Saturday, November 10, 2007

TeacherLibrarianNetwork Ning

I joined Joyce Valenza's TeacherLibrarianNetwork Ning today. I can't believe I didn't know it was out there! A few comments:

a. Joyce Valenza is my hero. I want to be just like her when I grow up (and when does she ever sleep?)

b. I have joined a few Ning networks in the past, but haven't been able to really get interested in following the action. I'm hoping things are different this time around (and I really think they will be) because the content being posted is more applicable to me. And with someone like my aforementioned hero running things, I know that I can expect a great mix of traditional and contemporary library/information literacy discussion.

For instance, one of the first forums I came upon was a place to post your personal BEST Web 2.0 projects/resources. Not too long after, I came upon a forum to discuss the single best book you've read this year. I also joined a few groups -- one for new/young teacher librarians, another for elementary librarians, and another for YA lit (just because I love it).

The tough part is convincing myself to actually dive in and start posting. It is always hard to enter a new learning community, where you imagine that everything you post or ask sounds stupid or has already been covered. For instance, I've been on Twitter for a while but have never actually posted anything because: a. I have people I am following but not too many followers; and b. what do I have to say of importance anyway? I am working on changing that mindset, but it is tough...

No comments:

Post a Comment